Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Food Hangover

It's the day after you had a very unhealthy day of eating. What do you do? Well yesterday was one of those days for me. Sunday I ate Jose Tejas- which consisted of a Burro, chips, and french fries. Then Applegate Farms Ice Cream- chocolate chip mint in a waffle cone. I won't lie that was totally worth it. And then I had some Chinese food and a piece of ice cream cake. Talk about unhealthy. Now normally I would be so ashamed of what I ate, I would hide it and not tell anyone. Instead, I'm blogging it. Days like this happen. It's how you deal with the Food Hangover that keeps you on track to where you want to be in your healthy lifestyle. There is nothing worse than waking up groggy, thirsty, and feeling like you got hit by a truck. Unhealthy foods can make you feel this way just like alcohol. So how did I deal with it?

Yesterday, I was bloated, tired, and overall cranky. The sugar running through my blood made me want more ice cream, plus cookies, and brownies... oh and everything in sight. Sugar affects me in a way crack affects an addict. I should know better by now to avoid it, however since life does get in the way, I will have to learn to deal with the cravings. So I drank a lot of water to rid the bloating from the increase in sodium. I probably took in 5000mg of sodium. Max should be 2500mg, so you could imagine how bloated I was. I tried to stick to whole foods. Processed would just make my sodium increase even more. The trick to the food hangover is getting right back on track. Don't give in to the cravings that are telling you to eat that giant white bagel. A typical Jersey bagel contains close to 1,000 mg of sodium and over 50g of Carbs. And if you are having a white bagel, that's 200 calories of bleached flour. You are basically consuming pure sugar. That's what white bread gives you. NOTHING! Stick to the 100% Whole Wheat, especially when trying to rid sugar cravings.

After a day of eating unhealthy, get right back to it. Consume lots of water, fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed foods. When life gets in the way, take yours back and control it!

Quick tip: It can take up to 14 days to rid sugar cravings!

No comments:

Post a Comment