Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sugar Addict!

So it has been some time since I sat down to write. Mainly because I have been VERY unhealthy... I am a sugar addict. I know exactly what I should eat and when I should eat it. But there is a little part of my brain that screams "Give me Sugar". When I give into that craving, it spirals into a binge of sugar that can last weeks until I come up with the control to say no. When people say they are addicted to sugar, it's true. I was recently told that if I look at crap foods as drugs, my brain may make a different connection with food. When I find myself leaving the house just to get ice cream or my addiction, poptarts, I have to start telling myself I am going to meet with my crack dealer. It's probably just as bad for me.

I read in a textbook one time that sugar is not addicting, but I think that is absolutely false. When I quit smoking (yes I did smoke- grossest habit ever), the first two weeks were the hardest. All I thought about was the cigarette despite the fact I knew it was killing me. It's the SAME thing with sugar. When I detox my body of sugar or anything white for that matter, all that goes through my head is "I want sugar". It's probably not this way for everyone. But it is for me. So I have decided I need to cut the craving for good because clearly I am TIRED of battling two weeks of cravings for ONE cookie.

So, how do I cut the cravings? I stay away from ALL white products and sugar. I do not condone giving up carbs. Your body needs them to function properly. So I stick to the carbs that will absorb slower and not make my blood glucose spike. When you eat anything white or any kind of sugar, your blood glucose spikes and when it crashes, you get the craving again. Brown rice, 100% whole wheat anything is the way to go. And it's even better if you add a little good fat or protein. This drastically decreases the absorption rate.

Some good options: Apple with Reduced Fat Peanut Butter. Fruit is pure sugar. Even though it is good sugar, it can still cause a crash. So if you balance it with low fat cheese or reduced fat peanut butter, the protein and fat will help make it absorb slower.

Spinach salad with mandarin oranges, almonds, and low fat dressing. Great balance of carbs and fat. Add some grilled chicken and you have the perfect balanced meal.

So as I fight the cravings for the next 12 days (I have went two so far and I haven't be evil :-) ) I hope to have some encouragement from all of you!



No comments:

Post a Comment